<"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Welcome to the Ceili
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog
Still in the death throes of the semester, but I recently discovered this blog, which includes the best description of my book addiction:

As messire John of Gaunt loueth women, so ich loue bokes: without limit or discriminacioun, ich loue hem oolde and newe, short and longe, frensshe or latin or on englysshe tonge, of heigh sentence or of lowe japerye, from the smalest leef of parchemin to the gretest volume clad in blak or reed wyth commentarye and big honkinge metal claspes for fasteninge it shut.

I'm desperately trying to get everything done before I leave for the two day trek home for Christmas. It'll be a much shorter stay than normal, as I have meetings and the middle school teaching gig starting up on Jan. 7th/8th. So basically it's run home for Christmas, see everyone I can, and then run back, trying to hit some of the better blues museums on the way back (not really likely as I'll be traveling back Dec. 28th-ish).

Next semester looks interesting....for the first time in 13 years, I won't be playing the classical flute on a daily basis. That thought was more than a little terrifying at first, but now that I've gotten used to the idea, I think it's going to be nice to concentrate on the Irish traditional playing without having to feel guilty about whether or not I have time to pick up the classical flute. I'm also discovering that as I step back from a community and discipline that has dominated my time and identity for over a decade, that I get a clearer picture of who I want to be......and interestingly enough, it doesn't really involve classical flute music all that much.

Dharmonia asked me a while ago, "What do you want to do? Who is the 30 year old Mac?"
The most honest answer to the first question is that I want to play Irish traditional music.....all the time. I want to LIVE in this music. It's the reason why everyone comments about my music listening habit. I always have some form of audio with me.....and if I were to put my new iPod on shuffle for every 100 songs, a good 85 of them are Irish traditional in nature. As to who the 30 year old Mac is? That's harder for me, mostly because I really and truly can't imagine my life after 25 (I'm currently 24). I know that I love teaching musicology/ethnomusicology, but I can't see myself teaching only academic classes. Anyway, it's a process I guess....trying to figure out who you want to be. I guess the dream job would be Professor of Ethnomusicology and Irish Flute at any university in Ireland.....but I know how hard dream jobs are to get.

Anyway, enough about the future.....I'm off to try and clean my apartment some more, and maybe get some reading done.

Peace, Love, and Tunes,

Mac.
 
posted by Mac Tíre at 12:16 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments: