<"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Welcome to the Ceili
Saturday, February 09, 2008
On the Run (#2)
Miles logged: 2.5

Finally feeling up to running again, which is always a good sign, and actually got to run out side because of the gorgeous weather we're having. It worries me a little that I can run in a tank top and shorts at the beginning of February, but hey, global warming rears its ugly head yet again. I made a new playlist for this run, but completely hated it, so I won't post it here. I ended up skipping half of the tracks, so I had no clue how long I had been running (I refuse to take a watch when I run, unless I'm working on speed and need a stopwatch).

A good running playlist is a hard thing to make. Why? Well first off, the tempos can't be too slow. Slow music tempo = Slow running tempo. Add that to the fact, that I can't run that fast, and the tempos also can't be too fast. There are also different running moods. Generally these fall into four different categories for me:
  1. Angry Run: Also known as the screw the world run. This playlist has to be up tempo. Generally rock/punk/hard core trad music. Which means I tend to mix Franz Ferdinand, the Ramones, the White Stripes, Green Day, Melissa Etheridge, and Planxty/Bothy Band.
  2. Sad/Introspective Run (Which incidentally usually turns into #1): Also known as the I need to get away from everyone run. This playlist mixes medium tempo and slower tempo tracks. There's a lot of country, broadway, slower trad tunes, acoustic, and down tempo rock in these playlists. Some tracks: Down Where the Drunkards Roll, Learning How to Bend, Lunasa Slow Flute Tracks, You've Got to Show, Sleep, All the Roots Grow Deeper, No One is Alone, etc.
  3. Happy Run: Also known as the I can't believe I get to do what I love everyday run. This is usually composed of whatever I'm listening to at the time, so I've got about 4 or 5 basic running playlists or I run to Green Day's "American Idiot" album.
  4. Forced Run: Also known as the Get off your butt and put some miles down run. This has no set playlist, and generally I switch between any of the above mentioned playlists or run on shuffle.
For me, running always involves music, and I actually spend a decent amount of time trying to plan my playlists.

Ok......so this is my soap box about running: anyone can do it. Screw the stupid Gym teachers of the world who make fun of kids who run slowly, or tell them that pain is a good thing. I weighed 200 lbs in middle school and couldn't run more than a few feet without wanting to throw up. I actually lost weight when I went to college......basically because I was so busy. I moved out to Flat Place U, and didn't study martial arts, so I was building up a lot of tension. I had been thoroughly convinced by every jackass of a gym teacher that I had, that I wasn't "built" for running. Whatever the hell that means. Now I'm not talking about people who have bad knees, because that's a different story entirely, but just because you have a few extra pounds doesn't mean you're not "built" for running. Running isn't a pace thing.....you're running if at some point both feet are off of the ground. Pace is something you build up to. Running is just like every other big project I've ever done. Small steps and frequent steady effort.

Peace, Love, and Tunes,

Mac.

Labels:

 
posted by Mac Tíre at 6:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


1 Comments:


  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger CJS

    "Angry Run: Also known as the screw the world run."

    Years ago, when I used to live with outlaw bikers--actually, just down the highway a piece from Right Around Here--they used wear a patch on their colors (sleeveless denim vest with club decal on the back) which read "FTW": F*** the World.

    I always liked that one.