<"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Welcome to the Ceili
Monday, November 30, 2009
Brief Rant
Apologies about the lack of posting. The term has caught up with me yet again. I WILL finish the Pages to a PhD series, but most likely after the term has ended. I am currently drowning in grading, papers, readings, and exams.

But first a brief rant about a particularly bad response TA's sometimes get to bad grades.

So one of the requirements for the class I TA (ie grade) for this term is to write a term paper. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that this young man didn't read the directions closely. He didn't do half of the requirements, so I gave him a D (which I thought was rather generous) because he met every other requirement and it was a thoughtful paper. I had planned to email the prof and hopefully let the kid rewrite (everyone makes mistakes, especially freshmen who aren't used to being accountable), but while I'm still entering grades I get an email.

Usually we describe these as tear stained emails, but this one was worse. This was the "I'm a belligerent 18yo male who is trying to 'intimidate' you into changing my grade by telling the teacher what you did" email. My initial response is to say, "Motherf***er, that crap didn't work for guys my own age when I was 18. What the hell makes you think it's gonna work now that I'm 26 and have TA-ed for 4 years?"

Thank God for FPU. I carbon copied the prof and pointed the kid to the directions, and told him I had informed the prof of his situation and would let him know if anything changed.

I really don't get the sense of entitlement these kids seem to feel, nor do I have any clue about how to communicate to them that an education is something you earn, not pay for.

Back to it!

Peace, Love, and Tunes,

Mac.
 
posted by Mac Tíre at 2:14 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


2 Comments:


  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Dharmonia

    I've been inspired by this post to write a blogpost of my own. Stay tuned...

     
  • At 1:22 AM, Blogger Terminal Degree

    Yup, dealing with whiny motherf***ers is now part of the job. I once had a student tell me that HIS plagiarism was MY fault for making the writing assignment "too short."

    Look at the little weasels as blog fodder.