<"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Welcome to the Ceili
Thursday, February 05, 2009
Things turn around fast
So.....last weekend was possibly the most bipolar I've ever experienced. It started with the "No" from the Fulbright people (sad). Then I went and looked at pets (happy). Then worked on editing things all day and actually realizing that I was going to be in the US next year (sad). Then on Sunday night got an email from one of the grad schools I applied to (which I'll start referring to as Flagship U) saying, "You're in....by the way we want you to apply for this insanely good scholarship (ecstatic)." And I'm picking up my cat on Friday (different cat....who will soon have her picture taken and put up!).

I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, because Flagship U was definitely not my first choice, but (if I get money) it certainly is a viable option--specifically because the scholarship they want me to apply for is to study Irish and would pay for school and give a *hefty* stipend to boot. The perfect scenario would be to get full rides from West Coast U and Northerly U and then I get to decide where I want to go based on something other than finances.

Let me just say this: "I don't do moving on well." One of the reasons I'm ready to be done with grad school is that I want to build relationships with people and not have to leave them after 4 years. I don't think I can really convey how much these people mean to me here. And while I'm incredibly excited about the future, because it looks as if I'll have options, I'm sad because I believe that this community of people, people who have become family, are extremely rare and I can only hope that I'll find people like them wherever I'm off to.

I get to pick up my cat tomorrow! Pictures to come.

Peace, Love, and Tunes,

Mac.
 
posted by Mac Tíre at 11:07 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger TDH

    "... I'm sad because I believe that this community of people, people who have become family, are extremely rare and I can only hope that I'll find people like them wherever I'm off to."

    Rare... perhaps, but you will be carrying forward this rarity and creating your own communities based on these ideals and experiences. You will be making a difference in the lives of others, just as those here have made a difference in ours. This is what it's all about. You'll be great.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger TDH

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger TDH

    As I started to say earlier, before I noticed I was almost late for class, I can relate to the whole bipolar thing. The past couple of weeks have been rough for a lot of people it seems. It really is pretty unique that we have this community (even if some of us only really get to communicate in the blogosphere) that takes care of each other, and I really do believe in taking that with us wherever we go. Because lots of people don't know that kind of support.