<"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Welcome to the Ceili
Saturday, March 07, 2009
Many, Many Updates
Very many updates.

First off, I have now heard back on all of my applications University of Michigan was a no. I'm a little bummed, but only the slightest bit because I've got two really good yes's from West Coast U and Flagship U. I've been offered a TAship at West Coast U, which puts it in the front running.

West Coast U has a department dedicated to Performance and Scholarship, meaning I wouldn't have to fight my professors to work on advancing my performance abilities and my scholarship. Their other PhD students are of the HIGHEST caliber (I could study with two of them and be happy), and they're all very happy with the program and the professors which means that I could probably finish my degree without all of the horrible battle scars. They also offer places to study Irish traditional music AND Medieval music....there's not really anywhere else in the country that can offer that. Not to mention that the head of the division was very up front about TA's and told me he would contact me at the end of the week....and then he did (on a Saturday morning). That says a lot to me about the department in general. The TA covers up to 16 hrs of tuition and fees per quarter (about 17,000 a year) in addition to a monthly stipend. The only possible problem I can see is that the monthly stipend is fairly small compared to the cost of living on the West Coast. I think it's doable though. Still doing the math. Other positives: there are Buddhists at WCU. Lots of them! There are several places that teach the Dharma in the city. No Soo Bahk Do to be found....but I'm pretty sure I could find a martial art I'd like on the West Coast (because FPU offers a hell of a lot of Tae Kwon Do aka let's beat the crap out of each other with large amounts of protective gear on but not actually teach you anything about a living tradition/art form/self-defense--learning how to get hit with a big chest guard on does not teach how to take a punch in real life). I could also ride my bike to school, saving lots on gas $$. And for once in my freaking life I would be able to live in a BLUE state.

FPU fell into my lap.....so much so that I don't believe I really had a choice in the matter......it was meant to be. WCU has the same feeling....but I'm not entirely sure I could make it financially in such a rough climate (it would probably be tighter that FPU, though without having to worry about tuition and fees). And that's the only doubt in my mind right now.

Paper didn't get accepted to the regional AMS meeting, but I did get a paper on Andalusian Spain and Performance Practice accepted to a Hybrid Cultures conference later this month.

On another note....I think I need glasses. I can read fine (thank god), however the board/power point projections at school are getting a bit hard to see (my roommate can see them but I can't). So I'm probably going to cart myself off to Lenscrafters at some point today and see if I can fix that soon, because I need to be able to see the freaking board.

Here's to REALLY REALLY good weeks!

Peace, Love, and Tunes,

Mac.
 
posted by Mac Tíre at 12:23 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger TDH

    To say "I'm happy for you" would be a gross understatement. I know how hard you work. I know how much you deserve this. And I know you will be a great success.

    I also know that I would LOVE to come visit you out there! ; )

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger Sarai

    MAC!!! that is so wonderful!! I am so, so, so happy for you. What great news! :)

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Dharmonia

    This is such great news. And one comment: if you find a situation that has *everything* that you want and offers you such a great package, but you hesitate because you'll have to supplement it with a little loan money or part-time work: just remember that in this economic climate, very few people are going to be able to get through without either of the above. When I did my grad stuff I had graduate assistantships and/or TAs and I still had to do loans AND work part time. It was hard, but I don't regret it at all. My advice is - take it!