<"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Welcome to the Ceili
Monday, April 06, 2009
End Game
It has been pointed out to me that I haven't blogged in a while. Apologies all around, but until I defend my thesis I will most likely be extremely light on the ground blog-wise.

Almost everything is set up for the PhD stage at University of West Coast (UWC). I signed my contract for my TA for next year....which insures that I have not only a stipend but 16 hrs per quarter of free tuition along with free health insurance (gotta love the West Coast). I also know my assignments for next year, which are primarily ethno assignments. UWC is on a quarter system, which means I'll TA for three different classes next year. First quarter I'll TA for Music Apprec. and after that I get bumped up in hours (and salary) and TA for Music in World Cultures and Music of the Americas. Totally a happy camper, if a little worried about affording life on the West Coast. But I'll make it work, cause I always do (even if I sweat a little before I figure it out).

Going sometime in May to find housing, but I'm hoping I get to rent one of the houses through UWC. They allow pets and seem fairly reasonably priced, in addition to having W/D hookups and a yard/porch, which means I would be able to attempt a vegetable/fruit/herb garden.

Currently feeling very inspired by a conference the Musicologists from FPU tracked off to this weekend. Heard some great papers/presentations and feel completely inspired to up my game/finish the dang thesis.

I'm really looking forward to the move out to the West Coast, but also a little apprehensive about leaving people here, having to prove myself again, adjusting to the quarter system, and hoping my Academic Institution Karma will hold out. In addition, I have the great fortune to know I'll be surrounded by incredible performer-scholars at UWC but feel a little anxious about measuring up to the standard they set and representing my teachers from FPU well.

But none of that can happen until I finish/defend the damn thesis!

Peace, Love, and Tunes,

Mac.
 
posted by Mac Tíre at 12:18 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments: